Pursuant to UCLA Policy 811, all members of the UCLA community are required to conduct university operations in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations as well as with university health and safety standards and practices. The OSOC is charged with promoting a safe working environment in all research and teaching laboratories on campus. OSOC is staffed with the Faculty Chairs of the Safety Committees (Chemical and Physical Safety Committee, Radiation Safety Committee, Laser Safety Committee, and Animal Research Committee), the Director of EH&S (as a single representative for the Safety Officers), a delegate from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Legal Affairs, and the delegate of the VCR. The purpose of this super-committee is to review and adjudicate broad policy issues and to facilitate coordination between the different safety areas. OSOC serves as a mechanism for communication between existing campus Safety Committees on topics of mutual safety concerns. The Committee advises and reports to the Chancellor through the Vice Chancellor for Research.
- Develop, recommend, update and maintain policies applicable to health and safety at UCLA in order to promote safety and research.
- Establish and review strategies to ensure ongoing and adequate surveillance, hazard identification, and risk evaluation of laboratory activities.
- Advise the Vice Chancellor of Research regarding compliance with safety related policies through general observations, review of incident reports and similar activities.
- Review findings of inspection and hazard surveillance programs carried out by authorized EH&S personnel and State and Federal Regulatory authorities.
- Review requests for variances from established safety policies and advise the Executive Vice Chancellor on accepting or not these requests.
Committee Structure and Administration
The position of Chair shall be filled by an Ex Officio member who also individually serves as a Chair of one of the respective campus Safety Committees. The position of Chair is 1-year appointment and will rotate to include all ex officio voting members.
- Ex Officio Voting Members
- Chair, Chemical and Physical Safety Committee
- Chair, Radiation Safety Committee
- Chair, Institutional Biosafety Committee
- Chair, Animal Research Committee
- Director of EH&S
- Associate Vice-Chancellor for Research - Laboratory Safety
- Ex Officio Non-Voting Members
- Member of the Office of Legal Affairs
- Non-Voting Advisory Members
- The Chair of the OSOC may appoint individuals who have special interest and/or expertise to serve as non-voting advisors to the committee on an ad hoc basis.
Administrative and secretarial services for the Committee will be provided by the office of the Vice Chancellor for Research through the Office of Research Administration (ORA).
Voting members are appointed by the Vice Chancellor for Research.
Terms of Appointment
- Membership in the OSOC is contingent on current involvement in other campus Safety Committees or related stakeholder organizations as defined in the "Committee Composition" section above.
- The term of appointment for a non-voting advisory member is contingent on the advisory need as determined by the OSOC.
OSOC Meetings and Operations
- The Committee shall act by majority vote of the voting members present.
- A quorum shall be a majority of the voting membership.
- Electronic voting for all OSOC business matters is acceptable at the discretion of the Chair providing a complete electronic document of all issues relating to the item is forwarded to each voting member for their appraisal, comment and approval. Electronic voting shall require a three-day response to the Chair. The ability to vote electronically shall not be regarded as a reason for OSOC meeting nonattendance.
- The OSOC shall meet at least four times each calendar year. Quarterly OSOC meetings shall be scheduled by ORA after consultation with OSOC members.
- At the discretion of the Chair, special meetings may be called to:
- Review and act upon laboratory incidents or causes for concern.
- Review and modify Laboratory Safety policies.
- Consider possible action items referred to the Vice-Chancellor for Research or members of the OSOC.
The Chair shall distribute an agenda to all members prior to each meeting.
ORA shall provide administrative support to record, maintain and distribute minutes of meetings and other records. Copies of the minutes shall be sent electronically to all members of the OSOC.