The NIH Director has announced the launch of National Biosafety Stewardship Month. During the month of September, NIH grantee institutions have been encouraged to reexamine current biosafety policies and procedures, conduct inventories of infectious agents and toxins in all laboratories, and evaluate biosafety training of investigators, laboratory staff, and IBC members.
UCLA researchers are strongly encouraged to participate in National Biosafety Stewardship Month by:
- Completing the new online UCLA IBC Compliance Training module available at http://training.ehs.ucla.edu/
- Reviewing and updating laboratory SOPs
- Conducting inventories of their infectious agents and of communal spaces within buildings
- Ensuring all materials, even within communal storage spaces, are well-labeled
- Updating IBC protocols to reflect all infectious agents and all use and storage locations
- Reviewing the training of all laboratory members and ensuring correct documentation, including EH&S and laboratory-specific training.
Please refer to the memo from the NIH Director and the FAQ sheet issued by the NIH for additional information.