After several months of working with multiple stakeholder groups, we are pleased to announce the launch of the new Radiation Use Authorization (RUA) online system in SafetyNet. This new system will replace the existing paper and email process used for review of non-clinical use of radiation in research and currently managed by UCLA Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S). Our expectation is that this new system will streamline the submission and review process for all users by providing an electronic platform for RUAs that can be accessed from anywhere using your UCLA Single Sign-on, all while offering a high level of customer care and technical support that can now be delivered in real-time.
Effective Monday, June 15, 2020, all new submissions, as well as renewals and amendments for previously approved RUAs, must be submitted using SafetyNet. For currently approved RUAs, the system has been populated with a “shell” submission that includes a limited set of information migrated from your paper RUA. When entering the system for the first time, you will be required to complete a Principal Investigator (PI) Profile. This profile will only be required during your initial submission and will be used to populate all future RUA submissions.
Follow these steps to get started:
- Logon to SafetyNet
- Select RUA Online System
- Select Create RAM Application
- Complete the PI profile and application form
At your earliest opportunity, we encourage you to logon to SafetyNet to create your PI Profile and familiarize yourself with the system. Currently, RUAs are being accepted for radioactive materials (RAM) only; RUAs for radiation producing machines (RPM) will be announced and accepted in the near future. If your RUA is due for a renewal, or if you require changes to your current RUA, the RSAWA and EH&S staff can help you navigate the system and complete the online smartform.
With the transition from a paper/email process to an online system, there are some important things to keep in mind as you complete your initial renewal in SafetyNet:
- There will be fields in the “shell” RUA that will be blank – the information to populate these fields can be found in your previously approved paper application. An electronic copy of the paper application will be provided to each team as your renewal is initiated.
- Provision of information to populate these blank fields will only be required during your first submission through SafetyNet. Subsequent renewals/amendments will have these fields populated.
- EH&S and RSAWA team members will provide detailed help in completing these submission, as needed. Zoom office hours will be available soon.
Visit RUA Reference Guides and Training Information for tutorials outlining the submissions process in SafetyNet.
We appreciate your partnership as we launch the online RUA in SafetyNet. Contact the RSC administrative team at RSC@research.ucla.edu or (310) 206-5601 with any questions or concerns. We welcome your comments and suggestions for SafetyNet.